Did you know that people with hearing loss don't take action to get their hearing back until an average of seven to 10 years after noticing the first symptoms? That's a long time without being able to hear friends and family members.
AARP members have exclusive access to hearing healthcare options and discounted hearing aids, making up one of the most comprehensive packages available today.
The Hearing Care Program benefits include:
- Save 20% on hearing aids and hearing healthcare products
- Save an extra $200 off a pair of hearing aids ($100 off each hearing aid)
- In-person hearing test accompanied by custom fitting
- Risk-free 90-day trial for all hearing aid products
- Wide range of advanced hearing aid brands, offering the latest digital hearing aids
- Exclusive 15% discount on a variety of hearing healthcare products, like hearing aid batteries, accessories and assistive listening devices
- 1-Year extended follow-up care program at no additional change
- 3-Year manufacturer warranty
- Free 3-year supply of hearing aid batteries -- $100 value
- Directional microphones at no additional charge -- $150 value per hearing aid (provided where appropriate, space permitting)
- Over 1,500 convenient locations with trained audiologists and licensed, caring and experienced providers
AARP's website also has an easy-to-use appointment setter that allows you to pick your state and find the closest hearing care professional that is covered under your insurance plan. All clinics listed on the site are licensed professionals who offer state-of-the-art technology and services. In addition, there is an online screening exam that can help individuals determine their level of hearing. The five-minute screening can be conducted via a questionnaire or with headphones.
Hearing loss causes isolation
AARP's hearing care program ensures that individuals will not become isolated due to their hearing loss. Research conducted by The National Council on Aging shows that people who struggle with hearing loss but do not receive treatment may feel isolated or depressed. According to the study, 30 percent of those with hearing loss who did not wear hearing aids felt isolated while only 22 percent of those with hearing aids had those feelings.
Social interaction is incredibly important for people's health and well-being. Those who are older than 50 may be living alone, which could lead to injury or illness. The AARP Foundation understands the great importance of staying in contact with friends, family members and the community to live a healthy life. The organization commissions research that addresses social isolation and finds ways to prevent it.
Healthy Hearing answers: What do I need to know about buying hearing aids?
AARP online community
AARP's website provides a number of valuable resources to people over the age of 50. There are message boards to keep in contact with others on the website and popular discussions that allow individuals to share jokes, music and new books with other members. The information is directed toward the over 50 demographic, and includes travel, dating and health advice. This can be very beneficial to those with hearing loss because it serves as an outlet to get in touch with others, without relying on hearing. Plus, it provides a gateway to meet others with hearing loss. Social media and online interaction can very helpful to those with hearing loss.
Additionally, the website provides state-specific information including sessions to attend, care giving tips, forums and local events.
AARP is a trusted name in the healthcare industry, which is why the foundation is able to provide many Americans with affordable healthcare. Being a member of AARP allows you to take advantage of the close relationship that AARP has with leading companies by having access to a number of health products, discounts and services at a low rate. Here are some additional benefits of an AARP membership to consider:
- Discounts: You will have access to discounts at a number of restaurants, drug stores, entertainment facilities, shops and more.
- Health Product: Dental insurance, fitness discounts, medical supply services, hearing discounts and vision discounts are all available.
- Travel Benefits: AARP members may receive discounted rates at hotels and resorts as well as lower prices on rental cars. Flights, cruises and tours are also available at a lower rate.
- Financial Services: Credit cards, lifetime income options, life insurance, auto insurance and college savings solutions are available.
- Programs and Events: Career fairs and free webinars are available for career advancement.
- Insurance Products: Health, life, auto, home, mobile home, long term care, motorcycle and property insurance are all available.
- Publications: AARP magazines provide insight and helpful information for members that make it easier to cope with challenging situations
AARP provides a laundry list of healthcare tools and resources that can help you determine the right type of coverage and cost that suits your lifestyle, while calculating your savings. Additionally, there is a health insurance terms glossary that will help you decipher hard to understand language when choosing a plan. You can also calculate your social security benefits.