The Preschool-Age Financial Aid program was established to provide financial aid support to families of preschool age children who have been diagnosed with a moderate to profound hearing loss and who are in pursuit of spoken language education for their child. Grants are awarded to attenuate expenses associated with obtaining services such as auditory support services, speech-language therapy, preschool tuition, etc. Families who apply should be committed to an oral approach for the education of their child’s listening, speech, oral communication and cognitive skills.
2010 Preschool-Age Financial Aid Program
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Hearing loss must have been diagnosed prior to acquiring spoken language (pre-lingual hearing loss).
- Hearing loss must be in the moderate to profound range. This means that applicants must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55dB or greater in the better hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz. Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement. Unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss does not qualify.
Formula for calculating the PTA:
On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz and add those three numbers together, then divide that total by three. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 or greater.
- Spoken communication must be the child’s primary mode of communication.
- The child must be at least four (4) years of age as of December 31, 2010 and must not be entering the first grade for the 2010-2011 school year.
- The child must reside in the United States (including territories) or in Canada.
- Parents/guardians must indicate financial need.
Note: While membership in AG Bell is not required, preference may be given to AG Bell members.
Application and Deadline
The deadline for applications is July 30, 2010. All materials must arrive together in one package at AG Bell by 5 p.m. Eastern Time on July 30, 2010. No supporting materials will be accepted separately from the application.
Application package should be mailed/delivered to:
Preschool-Age Financial Aid 2010
3417 Volta Place, NW
Washington, DC 20007
For more information and an application, visit https://nc.agbell.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=497