Oticon Alta

Small Batteries Can Be Dangerous To Toddlers & Seniors

CPSC Warns As Small Battery Use Increases, So Do Battery Related Injuries and Deaths.  Toddlers and Seniors Are The Most Often Injured in Battery Swallowing Incidents

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Small batteries can be found in products in nearly every home in America. From hearing aids, watches, the flashlight sitting on the table, to the remote control next to the TV, "button batteries" as they are commonly referred to, are in thousands of products used in and around the home. Young children and senior adults are unintentionally swallowing small batteries and in some cases, the consequences are immediate and devastating.

A recent study conducted by Dr. Toby Litovitz of the National Capital Poison Center, found that small battery related incidents resulting in severe injury and fatality have increased sevenfold since 1985. The majority of reported incidents involve 20 mm diameter, or larger, 3 volt batteries. Occasionally, a swallowed battery will pass through the intestine. Most often, however, batteries that become lodged in the throat or intestine can generate and release hydroxide, resulting in dangerous chemical burns.

small batteries, hearing aid batteries, button batteriesIncidents most often involve children younger than four years old and senior adults. In the majority of incidents, children gain access to batteries directly from games, toys, calculators, remote controls and other items commonly left within a child's reach. Senior adults have swallowed hearing aids batteries after mistaking them for pills.

Parents often are unaware that a child has swallowed a small battery, which makes it difficult to diagnose the problem. In fact, in the recent study, more than 60 percent of reported incidents initially were misdiagnosed. Symptoms resemble ailments common in children, such as an upset stomach and fever, and in some incidents, there are no symptoms at all.

"These incidents are preventable and CPSC is working to get ahead of this emerging hazard quickly," said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. "Our consumer awareness efforts and outreach to the electronics industry are under way."

CPSC has reached out to the electronics industry and battery manufacturers, urging them to develop warnings and industry standards to address this issue.

CPSC recommends the following steps to prevent unintentional battery ingestion:

  • Discard button batteries carefully.
  • Do not allow children to play with button batteries, and keep button batteries out of your child's reach.
  • Caution hearing aid users to keep hearing aids and batteries out of the reach of children.
  • Never put button batteries in your mouth for any reason as they are easily swallowed accidentally.
  • Always check medications before ingesting them. Adults have swallowed button batteries mistaken for pills or tablets.
  • Keep remotes and other electronics out of your child's reach if the battery compartments do not have a screw to secure them. Use tape to help secure the battery compartment.
  • If a button battery is ingested, immediately seek medical attention. The National Battery Ingestion Hotline is available anytime at (202) 625-3333 (call collect if necessary), or call your poison center at (800) 222-1222.

How much do you know about button batteries for hearing aids? Take this quiz (pdf) to find out.

Source: Consumer Product Safety Council

Share this article


4 people like this

Comment

Related Content
Preferred Professionals Near You
See More Preferred Professionals

Clinics above not close enough?
Search with your zipcode below.

Sign Up for Our eNewsletter
Our free eNewsletter is delivered to your inbox every two weeks - it’s the best way to stay informed about what’s new at Healthy Hearing!
Preferred Hearing Professionals Near You

Highline Hearing Professionals (formerly Highline Audiology)

457 SW 148th St Ste 101
Seattle, WA 98166

Click Here for Details

Northgate Hearing Services

10564 5th Ave NE Ste 203
Seattle, WA 98125

Click Here for Details

Minor & James Medical

515 Minor Ave Ste 150
Seattle, WA 98104

Click Here for Details