Many people have skin sensitivity to earmolds which may or may not be true allergic reactions. While it is possible to be allergic to the chemical that make up the earmold, it is more likely the case that you have either a skin sensitivity to the tint, if any, or that there is a lingering low-grade bacterial or fungal infection in your ear canal which the earmold is aggravating.
A few things to try:
Consult a dermatologist or Otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat physician) to be sure there isn't a bacterial or fungal infection in your ear canal.
Once you have ruled out that, be sure the earmolds do not have any coloring or tint in them and replace if needed.
Keep your earmolds clean and dry. Micro-particles of dirt on the surface of the earmold can scratch your skin leaving it open to infection. Placing the earmolds on these open wounds can trap the bacteria and creates a nice warm place for them to grow.
- Wipe your earmolds with a dry tissue whenever your remove them.
- Once a week, separate your earmolds from the hearing aids and soak them in warm water for 5 minutes then shake them dry.
Use a Dry and Store (www.dryandstore.com) after weekly cleaning and also every night. This device not only effectively dries your earmolds and hearing but contains a germicidal ultraviolet lamp that kills most bacteria and fungi commonly found on earmolds.
- If all else fails, ask your hearing care professional about Comply Canal Tip (www.hearingcomponents.com) disposable earmolds.
You can read more about the Dry and Store at www.healthyhearing.com/library/interview_content.asp?interview_id=54
and more about keeping your ear canals healthy at www.healthyhearing.com/library/article_content.asp?article_id=216